Friday, February 8, 2013

Workworkwork


02/08/13
     I didn't get a wink of sleep last night because of one single pesky mosquito that buzzed in my ear all night. At this altitude, mosquitos don't carry malaria, thank goodness. However, that doesn't make them any less annoying.
     By some stroke of magic, maybe the altitude is keeping me awake, I haven't crashed yet from my lack of sleep. I spent the day at work with Lisa, my aunt. She works for USAID so I spent the majority of the day reading through material about new and emerging diseases. Though it was all very fascinating, I had the heebie jeebies by the time lunch rolled around. We took a break from "Casual Friday" to go on a tour of the Embassy. I'm not sure how much I'm at liberty to say about the Embassy so I'll leave it at this: the place was HUGE. It was strange to see so many Ex-Pats around. A coworker of Lisa's told me that Kenya has a large population of young Ex-Patriots like myself. I have yet to meet some, but I'm sure once I find one, I'll inevitably find others.
     The embassy and USAID offices were very busy and full of hustle and bustle. Lot's of world changing business going down I assume.
     We then took a trip around town before returning to work. It is amazing how quickly the social classes shift by just driving a few kilometers down the road. In one part of town, a part that I hadn't visited before today, the streets were full of people selling anything from board games, to cleaning detergents, to live puppies! Which makes me a little sad. Who knows where they came from and what kind of life they will have.
     On a lighter note, we have some exciting trips planned in the coming weeks. There is a lake close by that has wonderful hiking, water sports, and walking safaris. (so I've been told.) I'm a little bit scared and a lot bit excited with the idea of being a stone throw away from lions and elephants. I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures.
     Slowly but surely I am acclimating to a different lifestyle. I know it's only been 5 days but I already am shifting away from the GO GO GO mentality of life in the States. It's definitely a work in progress. I naturally want to be doing something constantly, but the whole point is to slow down. This way I can watch, observe and learn.
     I'm thinking about all my friends and family back home. I miss you guys, but I'm not ready to come home yet!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment