Friday, February 8, 2013
First Impressions
02/07/13
First Impressions: Nairobi
Whew! This post is proof that I arrived safely. I'm sure you've all been dying for an update. Internet has been a bit flakey so I'll fill in the gaps from the last few days. I arrived on tuesday night having lost a day to travel. Nairobi is a much bigger city than I expected. It is beautiful and very rich in many cultures. There are multiple city "centers" which are essentially big shopping malls. I haven't yet been to the official city center which consists of a lot of office buildings and markets. (so I'm told)
Lisa and Luis' home is absolutely beautiful. They have furnished it with pieces they have collected from their travels over the years. The yard is very spacious and lush. (pictures to come) Frank, their gardener, has been trying to teach me Swahili. I've forgotten practically all that he taught me today, but I still have almost 4 months to learn. He likes to teach Swahili, I like to learn. He likes to drive around, and I want to see more of the city. I think Frank and I will get along just fine.
The Tolleys also have a house keeper named Ruth. The two of us have had some pleasant conversations. I hope to get to know her better. Ruth is a very kind young woman, and I'm finding it hard to accept that she is employed help. The wealthy of Kenya, and I'm sure all over the world, live an interesting lifestyle. I understand hired help is work that might not otherwise be available, but it feels strange to have someone hired to do my laundry and housekeeping.
Kenya is a very accelerated country. It is the hub of East Africa and a lot of business comes through Nairobi, the capital. I see a lot of Ex-Pats around town. I assume most are here for work such as peace corps and similar organizations or for tourism. Even for the amount of wealth, there is overwhelming poverty. I live about 5 miles from the Kibera Slum, which surrounds a major highway and spans for, what seems, forever.
Though I should have spent my first few days acclimating to the time change, which is 11 hours, I didn't want to be cooped up in the house all day. I set out on what I came here to do. I visited both locations for The NEST yesterday and met many wonderful people, most of whom are from germany or Austria. There are 4 young adults living in the Volunteer home at The NEST in Limuru, and I will be joining them next week. 3 of them are from Austria, and the 4th is from the states. The children, though traumatized and coming from broken homes, are sweet and good natured. They do their own laundry and daily chores. I am excited to see what kind of adventure this volunteer work will bring.
The safety in Nairobi is varied. There are many car-jackings and robberies in the city, mainly after dark. But for the most part, people are friendly, helpful and forthcoming. I feel safe enough taking a taxi. I haven't ridden one yet but the Mtatu are a good way to get around town. (During the day)
The weather has been uncommonly warm. (just in time for my arrival!!) I'm told the rains start in the next month so that should be.... interesting.
All in all, I feel like there is no way I could have prepared for this trip. I'm kicking myself for not bringing any dental floss and not enough pairs of pants, but that is where the adventure starts. Now I get to experience going into a supermarket and, get this, buying my OWN dental floss! Sure, I get homesick from time to time, but I wouldn't dream of going home. This adventure is just beginning and I know my family is doing just fine without me.
This post is most likely dated for yesterday since my internet is down, but that just means even more posts once it starts back up again.
Kwaheri (Goodbye) for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your mother brought you up right! first thing you are concerned w/ is dental floss :)
ReplyDeletexxoo Melody (your mother's college roomie)