(This post is a few days late. It got lost in the drafting process.)
Today we started our new working schedule. The director's wife, Millicent, has started a new plan for us volunteers. We split up to get more work done. Today, however, I didn't get to see how this new schedule worked out because I was invited to take the kids to saturday mass.
The mass was held in Nairobi in a giant park. I couldn't even begin to count how many people were there. Hundreds, maybe even thousands. It wasn't the most eventful thing to do but I got a chance to spend time with some kids that I hadn't become acquainted with yet. I had kids hanging from both arms while I was trying to find some shade. I also couldn't help but notice the unabashed staring I got from all the kids. They followed me around and tried to sneak in little pokes or daring each other to get closer. At first I felt like a celebrity, but then I started to get a little irritated. The heat combined with everything else was a bit too much. I realize now, that though many of the children acted like they've never seen someone as blindingly pale as me before, they really have. Just not so close up and personal.
No comments:
Post a Comment