Monday, May 13, 2013

Whisked away into the night

Really the only way to have a good day is to start with a positive outlook, which is something I can't claim to always have first thing in the morning. Today was one of those days that just worked out perfectly. I was able to meet a friend for coffee and still have time to make it to the Sarakasi dome at just the right time. The fates must have been in my favor. I didn't even get too much trouble from the matatu dudes. I might just be a capable human being after all.  Everyone keeps warning me about the bad people in the city who will take advantage of innocent white girls like me, but I have yet to meet my fair share. Everyone I met today was helpful. Anyway, I got home pretty road weary, but feeling very empowered, like I could do anything. Si se puede! My first official day at the Sarakasi dome went well. I have a specific schedule, specific duties, etc.

I think that was what my life was missing. Structure. Is it so bad that I need to have a schedule all the time? Probably, but after not having any routine or responsibilities for a while, it feels good to have something to work toward. I'd be a hypocrite after all those sessions of "goal-setting" and "decision-making" if I didn't have goals for myself. First step to setting goals, make realistic and achievable goals. I can't say how glad I am that I had few expectations (not low expectations; there's a difference) when I left for Kenya. Instead of wasting time being disappointed, I've spent a majority of the time being impressed and stimulated. For example, when training the puppies (News flash! We got puppies! More on that later...) when training the puppies, we have to have realistic expectations of their capabilities. They learn reaaaally fast but patience is still key. We're starting small, teaching them their names, which are Dobby and Bella, and the basics.

SO! Here's the story. Saturday morning, Aunt Lisa and I sat down to breakfast and I happened to ask about the puppies they had been waiting on from the KSPCA. They had visited a few weeks back when I was still out in Western. Lisa called just to inquire, with no hopes of them being ready already. Turns out they were. We all jumped in the car to battle the Karen traffic and arrived just before they closed. PUPPIES!!! It was a rough first car ride home, and first day in general for them. That was two days ago. They are really starting to warm up to us now. Understandable, they weren't too keen on the idea of picking up and moving to an unfamiliar house with unfamiliar people who wanted them to eat unfamiliar food and follow unfamiliar commands. That's been our excitement for the week. That and muzungu night out for me and a bunch of peace corps volunteers.

I hadn't been around so many Americans in quite a while, so it was a little overwhelming to hang out with the entire COS class of Peace Corps volunteers. They were here for their completion of service conference (hence the COS) and a got whisked along with them into the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment