Friday, May 10, 2013

Almost-the-weekend Update

Now that I've gotten all those pictures up, I can check one more item off my list. This week though not very busy, has been quite stressful! College is all straightened away, as far as I know. I just have to work on my scholarship hunt. Apparently there is a scholarship for keeping a blog. Lucky for me, I in fact, have a blog.

This post will most likely be cut shorter than some others. The reason being, I haven't had any real revelations lately. So I'll spare you a rant about eagles and other heart warming topics and just stick to facts for now. Don't worry; I'm sure I'll come up with something to lecture about in the coming week.

I visited the Sarakasi trust both tuesday and wednesday. Getting there isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be, just a matatu ride away really, but getting home was quite an ordeal my first day. No matter how much I ride matatus and get comfortable with haggling for the correct fare, I'm always going to have to put up a fight. It's pretty exhausting.

As for Sarakasi, I spent most of the day watching dance rehearsal for their upcoming performance. My god, those people can dance. I can't even imagine what I would look like showing off my "white girl" dancing compared to them. If those who think dancing isn't a sport were in a room with the sarakasi dancers for less than an hour, they would most definitely have a change of heart. I think I became a better dancer just sitting in the same room as them. Most likely, I still look like a white girl, all elbows and neck, when I dance, but a girl can dream. Starting monday, I'll be handling a lot of paperwork and contracts for them. They go into the community, to schools and institutions, a lot to teach dance. There is an instructor, who graduated from Sarakasi, teaching at Sydney and Ben's school, for example.

On Wednesday, I did something I'd never done before. I went rock climbing for the first time. I don't know why I never had before, but it was exhilarating! I made it to the top 4 out of my 6 climbs. Not bad for a beginner, right? Needless to say, my upper body strength is not what it could be. My arms felt like lead on the way home and still do even today. Ben was a monkey boy. He climbed a wall that took him upside down so that he had to dangle by his arms for some time. I can't wait to go again. Maybe I'll wait until I'm not so sore.

That's all for now.
Less than a month left in Kenya! Not that I'm counting, but seriously, where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment