Thursday, May 2, 2013
Insert Meaningful Title Here
Did you know that an eagle builds his nest in 9 layers? He starts with a layer of thorns followed by a layer of twigs, then more thorns. The 4th layer is made up of soft grass, then leaves and moss, then more thorns, grass, moss and finally his own downy feathers. Why does he build his nest this way? Well you see, an eagle lives in very high places like the side of a cliff or the top of a tall tree. The only place for a predator to ambush an eagle is from below. The outermost layer of the Nest is made with thorns. If you are a snake or a wild cat and you climb a tree in the hopes of catching a eaglet, you are going to be faced with a mouth full of thorns. The layers are for both protection and for nurturing, hence the soft grass and feathers.
The second reason for all the layers, especially the thorns, is that after the Eaglet has been born he has to learn how to fly. The papa eagle pushes his little fluffy baby eagle out of the nest. The baby falls aaaaaall the way down only to be saved by his father at the last second. The father continues this exercise while the baby eagle learns how to use his wings. Once papa eagle is sure his little baby can fly on its own he reveals the one last trick hidden up his sleeve. Baba eagle removes all of the comfortable soft squishy grass and moss and feathers from the nest until all that's left are thorns. He then sets his fuzzy little eagle child on the side of the nest and gives him a push. The Eaglet, now fully capable of flying by himself, jumps back into the nest, afraid of the outside world. What nasty surprise does he find upon reentering the nest? A bed full of thorns. Suddenly, whatever scary things the outside world might hold become favorable to the thorns inside. He then is forced to fly and soon finds, he wouldn't have it any other way.
We can learn quite a bit from nature. Another example. Eagles are the only birds that fly directly into a storm. The see a storm coming their way and they rejoice in it. While all the other chickens and pigeons are fleeing in fear of the heavy winds and rains, the eagle opens his wings and lets the incoming torrents lift him up above the clouds. There he can soar above the storm. Maybe he is the only bird big and strong enough to withstand the strong winds, by why should the eagle the only one? You would think other birds would see him and follow his example. This may sound extremely corny, but I'm an eagle, or at least I aspire to be one. If the Eagle can teach his own child to welcome the outside world and embrace his problems head on, then that is the example we should be following.
Right now I'm in Kenya, but that doesn't mean I don't have responsibilities back home. Hell, I have a ton of responsibilities in regards to school, work, friends, family, and being in Africa is no excuse for leaving those loose ends untied. I have just about a month before I come home. In this last month, I have a lot to accomplish. I've been across Kenya (not to the North, that might be another trip all together) and I've met so many great people. At the beginning of my trip, when homesickness was at it's most vicious, I figured I was a crazy person and couldn't believe I had done something as wild as picking up and going to Africa. Four months felt like a loooong time. I was kicking myself, considering cutting my trip short. I'll be completely honest, I didn't think I could do it. Looking back, I can't imagine spending any less time here. In fact, I'm kinda sad that my trip is more than halfway over. I'm excited for college, yes. I'm excited to have my job back this summer, yes. I'm excited to see my friends and family, of course. But Kenya will always have a piece of my heart (getting cheesy again) and that is something that is very difficult to explain. It is so hard to put all my feeling and experiences with a country into words. I know I'll get questions like "did you see a lion?" and "did you have to go to the bathroom in a hole in the ground?" but Africa is so much more than just seeing lions and all that. The reverse culture shock is what I'm most nervous about. I want to be able to talk to people about my experience, but without actually experiencing it with me, nobody can really relate. I have the feeling that I'm coming off as high and mighty, but that's not my intention. One can't simply describe Kenya. One has to see and smell and taste Kenya.
Another thing I admire about eagles is their acceptance of vulnerability. In an eagles life, he (or she) goes through a process of physically tearing himself down. He pulls out his old and weak feathers. Breaks off his talons, and breaks his beak. It is a mess, and he is physically, and probably mentally, drained from the process. With time, however, new feathers, new talons and a new beak start to grow all stronger than the ones before. An eagle does away with weaknesses that hold him back to make room for the new and stronger characteristics that will take him farther. He wounds and makes herself vulnerable in the process, but is stronger and healthier as a result. Nature is not always pretty.
I was chatting the other day with the nurse here at Open Arms International in Eldoret. (That is where I've been staying since leaving Amagoro) and she was telling me about some of the work she's been doing. A lot of the problems Westerners face when coming to Africa is the feeling that their work isn't making a difference. Back home, when I was working at Starbucks, I could see the results of my labor every day. I saw people smiling because I remembered their order or asked them about their kids. I saw a paycheck in the mail that proved I worked a certain amount of time. Here the only result we see is long term. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it takes some getting used to. After two weeks of teaching, I started to notice the relationships I'd made with the students and how all of being and learning together had enriched everyone's lives. It is selfish really to expect to see change so quickly and really the reasons I've come to Africa are personal. So many organizations are put in place to give Westererns a taste of African culture and to make them feel like they've made a difference, but in reality, they foster the idea that the White man will come in to fix problems and throw his money around.
What I love about both Elewana and Open Arms is that they are building up the infrastructure of the culture by encouraging the people of the community to solve problems. Elewana is engaging and encouraging communities to support their students. Open Arms has a feeding program at a nearby slum that invites mothers to come and receive food for their children. Once the mothers arrive, they take health and education classes. Some have low levels of education and are informed at the same time as getting a warm meal in their kids bellies. The village, with it's 5+ children's homes, teaches the kids that though life in the village is comfortable, the outside world is not so soft and fuzzy. They teach the children job skills, landscaping, running a kiosk, cooking, building and other jobs that they could use to provide for themselves in the future. The future of Kenya starts with Kenyans.
Tom, the head of the hosting party, took me around the large compound yesterday. He showed my their dairy, shamba, water treatment area, guard dogs, school, and long term volunteer housing. They have a river down the hill which is very high and fast right now. They get all their water from the river by pumping it manually up to the top of the hill where it is treated and sent to the houses.
I like that everywhere I go, I get a different opinion on politics. Most Kenyans I've met glorify President Obama without knowing really much about him aside from his Kenyan roots. When I utter the word "American" most Kenyans think "Obama," and I instantly become a celebrity. Now this isn't to say all Kenyans think this way. I heard the refreshing opinion of a Kenyan who had done his research and told me exactly what about Obama's campaign and ideas he didn't agree with. Now, THAT is what I like to hear. A Kenyan who cares to read about a given topic then disputes it. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I know there are many many many Kenyans like that, I just haven't met too many of them yet. Maybe I'm just not giving them the chance to explain. In fact, I couldn't really claim creative thinking and discernment as my own before coming to Kenya. I think only after stressing the importance of creative and abstract thinking to others, I started to do so myself. I can say, "Kenyans need to think outside the box more!" as much as I want, but until I do so myself, I'm really just a hypocrite, aren't I? I am thankful for this trip not only because it has taught me to be appreciative of what I have - access to a good education, consistent electricity, a washing machine, two supportive parents, clean water that runs right out of the tap, a bathroom inside my house - but also because it has shown me the parts of myself that need to develop and grow.
Before heading back to Nairobi on Saturday, I'll lead a workshop here at Open Arms for some of the older kids. The workshop will stem off of the lecture I listened to yesterday about leadership and the habits of a certain bird of prey that was lead by two university students.
Though my stay here will be short, I have been introduced once again to a different perspective of Kenya. Yes, Kenya has traits that are consistent throughout the country, but it is also very diverse and differs wherever you go.
3 months down, one to go and I haven't even done anything dangerous or crazy. What's up with that? I was invited to go white water rafting the River Nile, but unfortunately (or maybe not so unfortunately) I couldn't attend the trip. When I get back to Nairobi I'll get a tattoo that says something like "I <3 Kenya" or "Jambo" or something wild like that to really complete my trip.
I realize this is a very long post. Feel free to skim. Most of this is just me ranting.
Until next time! XOXO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment