Monday, May 27, 2013

A Second Dedicated to Reflection

Here I am, one week to go, sitting in the office, pondering my reason for existence and life thus far. What I've concluded is that perception contributes a large amount (I'm not going to give you an actual figure, but it's in the 50-70 area) to a given situation. There are two ways I could view my "journey" after returning home. Webster's dictionary defines the word journey as traveling from one place to another. However, a journey implies that a considerable amount of work must be had in order to reach said destination. Let's be honest, the preparation and planing that goes into a trip like this makes me able to justify calling this "trip" a "journey." So, I can either view my journey as just that. Traveling from one PHYSICAL place to another PHYSICAL place, no doubt about it, is exactly what I have done, but I would be leaving out a huge piece of the puzzle if I didn't take into account everything about this trip that was non-physical. What I mean is, the two ways of viewing my travels is by all of the THINGS I saw, all of the THINGS I did, or by all of the places I went emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically.
As I've stated before, I am only one girl, I can't make waves of impact wash over Kenya, but I can create ripples. Now that I have a taste of African culture I have the ability and, frankly the responsibility, to support Kenyans. I can't expect myself to solve poverty and hunger. Not only is that over ambitious and unrealistic, it's not my job. It is up to Kenyans to develop and build their country. The ball started rolling a while ago. I've gotten to see Kenyans at work, helping other Kenyans and their country move in a strong direction. I've been lucky enough to find these organizations then jump on the wagon and do what I can to help.
So instead of thinking about all the lives I've touched, I am reflecting on all of the lives that have touched mine. I'm thinking about all the people that extended their hand to meet mine halfway. It wouldn't be easy to remember my time in Kenya as a bad experience, but just to strengthen the fact that this may have been one of the most enlightening experiences of my life so far, I'm compiling a list of highlights. Summarizing my "non-academic studies" into a few pages of memories. I will forever remember this trip as taking a leap of faith, and continuing to doing so.
A few months ago, as I wrote my college essays I used the term "non-academic studies" to describe my travels and gap year. At the time it felt a little like BS, because what did I know about learning from the world. It would be fair to say that I feel a bit different now as far as non-academic studies go.
I had planned to fill my last week in Kenya with more exciting adventures, but I found that someone had already done that for me. In case you were wondering, that someone was me over the past few months just by keeping myself busy. My schedule filled up without me even realizing it. Funny how the hours in the day seem to contract as days become fewer. There is little time left to reflect. That's okay with me. I'll have plenty of time to reflect during the 32 hour plane ride home. I am still wondering what readjusting to life in the US will be like. I'll have plenty of time to chew on that too.
For those of you who are reading this blog, I plan to continue writing after I get home and go off to college. Mostly for me. Hopefully, as the years go by I'll be able to fill up these pages with stories of many more travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment