Saturday, March 16, 2013

Visitors


3/16/13

Well as I said before, the Nest gets a lot of visitors. Usually they come and have a look around and do crafts with the kids. The visitors we had today came from many different walks of life. They were lead by a man named Andreas, or as he liked to call himself, Muzungu Wazimu, along with him came about 10 other Germans from all over Kenya. Most worked for the embassy while others were just passing through. They came during mid day and stayed until dark. Along with many people, Andreas brought a large variety of food to donate and lots of enthusiasm. He comes every few months with a new group of visitors. The children performed their usual greeting of singing and dancing and clapping then turned it over to the visitors. I think their presentation of Freire Jacques (spelling?) wasn't too bad seeing as they had about 2.7 minutes to prepare. The rest of the afternoon was spent making bread, and mutilating innocent insects. Not at the same time, of course, and I'm proud to say I didn't participate in the second activity. The kids were in rare form today showing their visitors exactly how to pull the legs off of a grasshopper. We haven't gotten to eat the bread yet but it smelled fantastic. Whatever dough didn't end up in my hair or smeared all over my clothes, was baked in the wood fire oven. Talk about baking from scratch.

As volunteers, it is our job to give our visitors a grand tour of our humble abode. They were impressed with everything, even our messy volunteer house. The visitors had a lot of questions. They wanted to know about how the kids get here, where they come from, why they come, how long they stay. I didn't have all the answers. Shocking, I know. They seemed to enjoy themselves and the kids enough to want to return. I would be really happy to see them again before I leave. Which is coming up soon. I found out my trip westward is coming sooner than I had thought. I'll be leaving the Nest in the first week of April. Just when I'm getting into a routine, I'll pick up and leave. I suppose part of life is being flexible and adapting to unexpected change. I plan on coming back to the Nest after my time in the West part of Kenya, because I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough time saying goodbye when April rolls around. As the lady standing next to me in airline security told me as I said a tearful goodbye to my parents, "Tom Petty said waiting is the hardest part..... but I think it's saying goodbye." I can't help but agree with her.

I first came to Kenya with hardly any plan of attack. For some reason, this "anti-plan" always seems to work out for me. Now I'm finding myself with almost too much to do! In May, after my time with the Elewana foundation, I have a half plan to work for some time with Open Arms International (look 'em up, they're doing some great work) to help out in the music classroom. After that, I'll hopefully spend the rest of may working with the Sarakasi trust. (Another organization worthy a good, thorough google search) I really hope I'm not jinxing anything because, as I said these plans are all tentative. Tentative plans work for me. I love having something to look forward to and to pursue. The only problem is, I would have to leave the Nest for some time.

I was able to chat at length with many of the visitors, one of whom is interning at the embassy. I had an easy time relating to her search of some sort of young intern/volunteer/adventurer networking. Like me, she wants to find more young people ready and willing to get a full Kenyan experience. I let her know that I'm up for the challenge. Slowly but surely I am expanding my Nairobi social circle. (Aren't you proud of me?? I'm making friends!!)

Speaking of friends and cultural experiences, another volunteer, Eliza, who lives in the area has invited Blake and I over for lunch tomorrow. I don't really know what to expect, which is good. I always have the most fun when I don't know what I'm getting myself into. She has also agreed to take me to get my hair braided. Look at me go! Next thing you know I'll have a belly button ring and a tattoo to go along with my Muzungu Wazimu persona. (Just kidding, I'm not going to pierce anything....yet) Braided hair will be fun, and it'll keep me from getting too hot out west. (putting sunscreen on my head might be interesting, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.)

Tomorrow is Sunday, which means I can catch up on some much needed sleep. Just a week until Easter. I can't believe how quickly time is passing.
XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment