Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Celebrations


3/17/13
Happy Saint Patty's day everyone! To celebrate, I visited my friend ELizabeth at her home. Sundays are usually pretty lazy so we took the afternoon to make the "short walk" to where she lived. What we failed to realize is that, in Kenya, a short walk really means a half an hour hike up a long hill.

We were warmly welcomed by her mother and almost all of her 9 brothers and sisters. They made us breakfast for lunch while sat and shot the breeze and let the hours fly by. Her mom didn't speak much English so we made do with hand gestures and smiles. The kids all sat around and watched as we crazy muzungus stuffed ourselves full of pancakes and traditional Kenyan eggs from traditional Kenyan chickens. They played music in the hopes of getting me to dance... It worked. I made a fool of myself yet again. Those kids showcased some pretty sweet dance moves, while I white-girl danced with my elbows.

Every kids in the neighborhood came to say goodbye to us as we made the journey home. I've really missed the feeling of living in a neighborhood. In Elizabeth's community, everyone knows one another and says hello on the street. You just can't find that in Nairobi where every house has a gate and a security guard. Once again I am reminded of home where I wouldn't hesitate to ask a neighbor to jump start my car or invite them over for dinner. The landscape was absolutely beautiful once we got out of the city. Eliza's brother promised us a walk to the tea plantation. I'll have to remember my camera this time.

The time passed faster than we realized and this close to the equator, dusk doesn't really exist. We had to hoof it home, but not before stopping to buy fruit from a neighbor and chat with literally every person we met.

Our lazy sunday turned into quite a full afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment