Back in Nairobi for the weekend! I got up niiiiice and early, "at the butt crack of dawn" as I like to say, pardon my French, to take the Nest van home. I made it to Village market in time to enjoy a nice cup of coffee before heading over to the Maasai Market. I looked like a total tourist with my huge backpack full of neglected laundry, but I look like a muzungu no matter what. My foreign appearance just made it a little but harder to get a good price.
I am still a bit rusty, but I managed to talk a vendor down at least 500 shillings. With a little more practice, I might actually make a bargain. I wish I had inherited my Father's salesman skills. Somehow, he always manages to leave a situation in his favor while still leaving both parties satisfied. I remember, my girl scout troop always sold the most cookies out side of Safeway when Mr. Hamel was around. I don't know how he does it.
I arrived home just in time to sit down and change my clothes before heading out again. I had a meeting around mid day with The Sarakasi Trust. Looks like they have a position that will suit me just fine. I'll be getting my toes wet by handling paper work and helping to promote artists, at least that is what it looks like now. What is really important to me is that I am involved. I don't mind spending the day answering phones and stapling papers as long as I get to sit in on workshops and listen to amazing live music at night. Speaking of which, there is a band playing in the Dome tonight. I had planned on a quiet evening in, but it looks like, once again, that isn't going to happen. Aw shucks, just my luck. There will be many pictures to come later this evening (tomorrow morning for you all back home) so stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment